Based in Curitiba, Brazil
June 22, 2012
PC, Mac and Linux
Oniken is an action platform game highly inspired by the 1980's, its games and its movies. This influence is visible not only in the graphics and sound design, but also in its story and difficulty. Don't worry, you will die a lot of times. Every copy of Oniken comes with digital versions of the game manual and the original soundtrack.
Oniken is set in a post-apocalyptic future when a global war nearly decimated humankind. The few survivors are oppressed by Oniken, an evil military organization. Player takes the role of Zaku, a ninja mercenary that takes part on the resistance movement.
- Graphics, sounds and difficulty from the 8-bit era
- Cinematic cutscenes
- Over 18 boss fights
- Six missions, three stages each
- Boss rush mode
- Global Leaderboards
- Full pixelated violence
Oniken launch trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "GMB - Best Brazilian Indie Game of the Year." São Paulo, 21 October, 2012
- "UOL Jogos - Best Brazilian Game of the Year." São Paulo, 19 December, 2012
- "Exposed at FILE - Electronic Language International Festival" 2012
- "8 Bit Horse Award - Best Old-School Throwback of 2012" 27 January, 2013
- "8 Bit Horse Award - Best Action Game of 2012" 27 January, 2013
- "8 Bit Horse Award - Best 2D Game of 2012" 27 January, 2013
- "Fodinha de Ouro - Best Game of 2012 Made in Brazil" 25 February, 2013
- "Oniken is NES hard, but also NES awesome."
- Matt Hawkings, Guyism
- "Put in general terms, it’s cut from the same cloth as the original Ninja Gaiden, gratuitously handing out the keys to the 2D hack-and-slash sweet shop to anyone with a quenchable thirst for shoryukens perforated enemy lungs. "
- Richard Glenn, IndieGame Mag
- "It feels like it fell out of the late eighties, except the controls were tightened up during the voyage."
- Jordan Devore, Destructoid
It´s always good to check what we are up to now... http:.
JoyMasher is an indie game studio founded by Danilo Dias and Thais Weiller on early 2012. We made Oniken and Odallus and are currently developing Blazing Chrome and some other fun and secret projects.
More information on JoyMasher, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Game concept, art, programming and design
Game art and design
João Felipe Santos and Wendell Jean Kuci
Level design and additional graphics